cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Control Policy and Intrusion Policy

susinkumar
Level 1
Level 1

We are facing issue with intrusion policy that is not working as per the configuration. We have a intrusion policy in which multiple signature state are"Drop and Generate Events" and our base policy is "Balanced security and Connectivity". The the intrusion policy has been placed in access control policy, please see the below screenshot.

sc2.png

Please see below is one of the example,

sc1.png   

sc3.png

The signature state is in "Drop and generate" but while analysis the same intrusion events (triggered alert for that signature) the status is would has dropped. I guess this event should be drop and generate but here it seems is not dropping the connections. It would be great help if someone is give more clarification on this issue.

Note: issue is not only with single signature.

Thanks,

Susin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Susin,

I am assuming you are talking about ASA-SFR module. If its in fail-open mode, than it means its supposed to drop traffic if configured to.

To answer your question, you don't need to change anything on managed device for this problem.

If the device is in promiscuous mode, it won't drop anything anyways.

Rate if helps,

Yogesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

yogdhanu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Susin,

Basically the firepower was not able to take the decision in time and to avoid delay in processing, traffic was already passed on wire before it could decide the traffic needs to be dropped.

As this is the only rule that shows this behavior, it could be that the snort does not receive all the packets data from flow in time to determine the correct course of action.

I would suggest to enable inline normalization in network analysis policy to solve the problem.

usually this issue comes due to either of 3 reasons.

>Device is under heavy load

>Snort did not receive all the data to evaluate packet in time and flushed data to avoid latency

>The same traffic passed through firepower twice

Rate if helps,

Yogesh

Hello Yogesh,

Thank you for your response.

Could you please confirm do we need to change any setting in Managed devices, as of now we didn't specify the inline or promiscuous mode but it in fail-open mode. Please advise this question.

Hi Susin,

I am assuming you are talking about ASA-SFR module. If its in fail-open mode, than it means its supposed to drop traffic if configured to.

To answer your question, you don't need to change anything on managed device for this problem.

If the device is in promiscuous mode, it won't drop anything anyways.

Rate if helps,

Yogesh

Hello Yogesh,

Thank you for your response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: