cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Control Selected Destination Ports: Protocol=All vs TCP+UDP

Matt Craig
Level 1
Level 1

In FMC Access Control rule, what is the difference between Selected Destination Ports "Protocol=All, Port=#" vs adding "Protocol=TCP, Port=#" and "Protocol=UDP, Port=#" separately.

For example, if policy needs to allow TCP (6): 53 and UDP (17): 53, I could add them in as such and have the rule take up 2 rows:

TCP (6): 53

UDP (17): 53

OR, I could technically enter "All: 53", and have the rule take up 1 row:

All: 53

What is the difference/consequence?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

salman abid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt,

Creating policy with 

OR

In both ways it'll work for you. But you need to understand the difference.

While creating policy you need to mention

Zones

Networks

VLAN Tags

Users

Application 

and then Ports

- Now if you mention ''DNS'' in Application section and leave ''Ports'' section empty then it'll take default ports which is 53 and also note that it'll call for layer7 inspection

- If you mention DNS in application section and tcp/udp:53 in ''Ports'' section then you're forcing the policy to allow the communication only if both conditions will be true. 

- If you leave Application section empty and mention tcp:53 or udp:53 then this condition will be true only if the configured (or i would say allowed) traffic will hit the SFR. But please not leaving ''Application'' section empty and just mention the port doesn't call for layer7 inspection.

- if you mention ''All'' as destination protocol with port:53 that means all the listed protocol in menu if comes with port 53, will be allowed.

i hope above has answered your concern.

**Please rate the answer if it helps you**

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

salman abid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt,

Creating policy with 

OR

In both ways it'll work for you. But you need to understand the difference.

While creating policy you need to mention

Zones

Networks

VLAN Tags

Users

Application 

and then Ports

- Now if you mention ''DNS'' in Application section and leave ''Ports'' section empty then it'll take default ports which is 53 and also note that it'll call for layer7 inspection

- If you mention DNS in application section and tcp/udp:53 in ''Ports'' section then you're forcing the policy to allow the communication only if both conditions will be true. 

- If you leave Application section empty and mention tcp:53 or udp:53 then this condition will be true only if the configured (or i would say allowed) traffic will hit the SFR. But please not leaving ''Application'' section empty and just mention the port doesn't call for layer7 inspection.

- if you mention ''All'' as destination protocol with port:53 that means all the listed protocol in menu if comes with port 53, will be allowed.

i hope above has answered your concern.

**Please rate the answer if it helps you**

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card