Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to IOS IPS Signarture files for studying CCNA-S

Hi,

I am currently studying CCNA-S with the Cisco Academy and have set up a lab network at home using an old Cisco 881G ISR.  So far I have followed every chapter and configured my lab, but in order to complete Chapter 5 (Implementing Intrusion Prevention) I need an IPS Signature file. 

Is there any way of getting an old file for training purposes?  I don't want to pay for a support licence for the training.  Has anyone else been in this position and managed to get access to a IOS-Sxxx-CLI.pkg?

Thanks

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't advise spending too much (or any) time trying to get hands on with the old end-of-sales IOS-based IPS for the CCNA Security. It's only a matter of time (hopefully not too long) until they replace that with a section based on Firepower IPS technology.

The blueprint topics are all "describe" tasks and, as such, you won't be expected to know how to implement that particular technology on the exam (or in production based on my experience).

Here's the relevant blueprint section:

6.0 IPS

6.1 Describe IPS deployment considerations

6.1.a Network-based IPS vs. host-based IPS

6.1.b Modes of deployment (inline, promiscuous - SPAN, tap)

6.1.c Placement (positioning of the IPS within the network)

6.1.d False positives, false negatives, true positives, true negatives

6.2 Describe IPS technologies

6.2.a Rules/signatures

6.2.b Detection/signature engines

6.2.c Trigger actions/responses (drop, reset, block, alert, monitor/log, shun)

6.2.d Blacklist (static and dynamic)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't advise spending too much (or any) time trying to get hands on with the old end-of-sales IOS-based IPS for the CCNA Security. It's only a matter of time (hopefully not too long) until they replace that with a section based on Firepower IPS technology.

The blueprint topics are all "describe" tasks and, as such, you won't be expected to know how to implement that particular technology on the exam (or in production based on my experience).

Here's the relevant blueprint section:

6.0 IPS

6.1 Describe IPS deployment considerations

6.1.a Network-based IPS vs. host-based IPS

6.1.b Modes of deployment (inline, promiscuous - SPAN, tap)

6.1.c Placement (positioning of the IPS within the network)

6.1.d False positives, false negatives, true positives, true negatives

6.2 Describe IPS technologies

6.2.a Rules/signatures

6.2.b Detection/signature engines

6.2.c Trigger actions/responses (drop, reset, block, alert, monitor/log, shun)

6.2.d Blacklist (static and dynamic)

Many thanks Marvin that's really helpful.  I have now downloaded the pdf of changes to the post 2015 CCNA-S and will work out what additional stuff I need to study.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card