Views
Helpful
Replies

Add an existing interface to port-channel

dganta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade a single 1 gig link to 2 X 1Gig link port-channel in FTD-2100 for Inside and Outside interfaces. Now when I try to add a port-channel it does not give me an option to add the existing interface. So does that Mean I need to administratively take my Inside interface down and then configure the port-channel with the same name or should I be deleting entire Inside interface configuration. Did anyone try to do this before. If I try to delete the existing inside interface with the name Inside will it also delete all the routing commands with Inside interface on it. Did someone do this before and tell what is the best way to do this

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is that interface port-channel created before with single link and you like to add new interface in to port-channel ?

or if you do not Port-channel you like to create 1 and add interface, rquired maintenance window - port required to  down and add.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

There is no port-channel need to add one and add the existing interface in to it, I need to take the port down and also remove the configuration? the interface is having an ip so I should remove from that and place it in port-channel. However if I do that I need to delete all the interface configuration include the inside name of the interface if I do that will all my current routing configuration using the name inside will be deleted?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes adding a portchannel interface on an ASA where none currently exists requires a disruptive change.

If you want it to take over the role of an existing single interface, you need to clear the config of the existing interface with "no nameif" (saving any NAT and other commands that reference that nameif), create the portchannel, assign the existing interface to it (optionally adding more at this time - or that can be done later), configure the new portchannel with what you previously had on the interface and then finally add back in the bits that were deleted when you did the "no nameif" command.

Be VERY careful to have a complete backup before starting and access the device via either console or an interface not being affected by the changes.

I also strongly recommend checking the config before and after with something like Examdiff to make sure that you re-added all of the bits that were removed with "no nameif".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card