Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding in a new expansion module in ASA 5512-X

Dear All,

Need some help on a question that i have in regard of adding in a new 6 GE module card in an ASA 5512-X. My company just recently bought an expansion module (ASA 5512-X/5515-X Interface Card 6-port 10/100/1000 RJ-45) and my role is to add this to our production firewall. When i insert the module into the firewall, do i need to restart the firewall for the system to detect the new GE module? I'm not sure whether this ASA can do something like a hot swapping. Many thanks in advance for the clarification.

Rgrds,

Zamir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You need to power down the ASA while doing this maintanance. You should not install the card while the ASA is power on. So you should schedule a maintanance break.

Here is link to the ASA Hardware Installation Guide that should also answer your questions and you give you step by step instructions if needed

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/asa_procs.html#wp1094087

I have not done this for the new ASAs but have installed the additional modules for the original ASA series which have been in production use.

Hope this helps

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You need to power down the ASA while doing this maintanance. You should not install the card while the ASA is power on. So you should schedule a maintanance break.

Here is link to the ASA Hardware Installation Guide that should also answer your questions and you give you step by step instructions if needed

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/asa_procs.html#wp1094087

I have not done this for the new ASAs but have installed the additional modules for the original ASA series which have been in production use.

Hope this helps

- Jouni

Dear Jouni,

Thanks for your advise and link. It helps to answer my question.

Rgrds,

Zamir

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card