Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding stateful failover to existing HA Pair

Hello all,

I have what I think is a fairly simple question.  Will adding stateful failover to an already existing failover HA pair on the ASA disrupt any services on the firewall?  I was looking at the failover pair and noticed that the 'failover link <NAME> <INTERFACE>' setting was missing and that the pair wasn't performing stateful failover.  I was trying to test in GNS3 but couldn't get the devices to detect each other.  I wasn't sure if it was a GNS3 issue or something else so I gave up as I ran out of time.  Anyway, I would like to get this added but would like to know if it's disruptive because if it is, I'll need to schedule a maintenance window.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

We recently had a pair of 5525x that we needed to add stateful failover to for our phone system and we are able to enable it without a disruption in service. 

The phone system we have was also quite sensitive to disruptions too, if a failover occurred without stateful enabled all phones would reboot and join the backup controller. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

We recently had a pair of 5525x that we needed to add stateful failover to for our phone system and we are able to enable it without a disruption in service. 

The phone system we have was also quite sensitive to disruptions too, if a failover occurred without stateful enabled all phones would reboot and join the backup controller. 

Thanks Ben.

I would suspect that of all traffic types, voice would be the most disruptive.  Seeing that you didn't experience any disruption when you enabled it makes me confident of the same as we also have voice traffic coming across our firewall as well.  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card