Views
Helpful
Replies

anyconnect and DHCP/DNS question

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not sure how the following is working. 

asa5525

anyconnect version 3.1

windows server 2008R2

When you come in via VPN I send clients to the windows server for DHCP/DNS info and records get created in the FLZ and RLZ. When folks disconnect from VPN those records in both FLZ and RLZ get purged instantly. When your on wired and disconnect those records in both zones do not get purged. I have my VPN scope and wired scope setup exactly the same.  I'm new to managing DNS and DHCP and know there's a lot to learn but it seems odd that when leaving a VPN session those records fall off right away. I'm not sure if the ASA has something to do with it or the anyconnect client itself. 

thanks for any help!

2 Replies 2

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If i understand the query correctly , If you have a remote User connect through the VPN , when that user disconnects VPN , you don't see the DNS records and they get flushed correctly.

In case , when you are using "wired" user for VPN , the DNS records are not flushed ?

Are these wired users you internal LAN itself and why are they connecting to the VPN ?

Please explain which two sets of user are seeing different behavior and how are they connecting to the ASA device ?

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Hi Vibhor,

Yes, wired users are internal LAN users, sometimes they leave to go on appointments and VPN in. I'm having some overall issues with DNS not clearing records but I believe I have that part figured out as the DHCP server must own the record. However, before I set this up I was trying to figure out why the DNS record gets flushed immediately after the VPN client disconnects where as the wired entry stays in there. 

Does that answer your question?

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card