cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Failover Licensing

pcarlet
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a pair of refurbished ASA 5510 (Sec Plus) to create a ACTIVE/STANDBY failover.

When I check 'show activation-key', it shows:

Failover                       : Active/Active

How do I change this to active/standby? I thought Sec Plus license was for either failover configuration. I tried adding the line 'failover lan unit secondary' to see if that would update it, but it does not.

Do I have the wrong license? Is there something I need to do to change this? I definitely do not want to try active/active config.

thanks in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The output you see from the show command is normal. "Active/Standby" is considered as a subset of "Active/Active".

If you did not have the necessary license, the ASA would not accept the "failover lan unit secondary" command.

Once you have setup both units, you can check the status with "show failover"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The output you see from the show command is normal. "Active/Standby" is considered as a subset of "Active/Active".

If you did not have the necessary license, the ASA would not accept the "failover lan unit secondary" command.

Once you have setup both units, you can check the status with "show failover"

thanks for the clarification Marvin! second unit has not arrived...but just wanted make sure I didnt order the wrong licensed versions. cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card