cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Q.264 Video from Axis outdoor camera denied

chrisseidt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a Cisco ASA 5510 firewall, an inside network containing a Genetec video recording server, and cameras installed on broadband modems throughout the area (each with a public IP). They've recently purchased Axis Q6034-E cameras that use H.264 to stream back to the video recording server. The camera has a view mode where you can watch it through H.264 or Motion JPEG. The view with M-JPEG works, but when I switch to H.264 the video stream is denied. We have allowed RTSP, RTP, and HTTP (it's setup with only http, not 443)traffic from the camera address on the cable company public network but are still being denied the video stream. The recording software requires that the feed come from the H.264 feed, so the motion jpeg does not fix the underlying issue of being able to record.

We know it's the firewall because if we install the camera on the inside network, the video feed in H.264 works to the recorder.

Has anyone run across a setup like this where you had to enable something special on the firewall to allow traffic through from the device? Thanks for the help.

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I've only ever had problem with video on a ASA when a customer was using video conferencing with a certain brand of devices. At that time the only option was to disable the ASA inspection for that traffic.

In some other cases too ASAs inspect settings might cause problems with something like this.

You can view the "inspect" settings by issuing the command:

sh run policy-map

or on the ASDM side going:

Configuration -> Firewall -> Service Policy Rules

I can't really say anything for sure but hopefully this will get the ball rolling and someone with abit more knowledge about this subject will check this out.

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card