Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Throttling HTTP Upload SPEED

xfix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have an ASA 5510 with Security Plus license. It has 3 Internet connections (2 x ADSL2+ based and 1 x 10/10M Ethernet). ASA is configued in dual ISP mode (2 ADSL connections) providing internet access in case of default route goes down.

3rd connection has recently been installed, i have statically entered a to route (speedtest.net) to forward any traffic for these IP addresses to go through 3rd connection (10m/10m ethernet). When i do a speedtest on speedtest.net it shows me 9.5m download and 1.4m upload.

If i plug the 3rd connection (10m/10m ethernet) directly into my computer and then do speedtest, it results in 9.8m download and 9.5m upload which is close to what is suppose to be, so i dont think there is anything wrong with the actual link, its the ASA which is throttling the upload traffic and keeping them below 1.5m. I have tried different duplex and speed settings but they did not make any difference, at the moment its configured at FULL 100M which is recommended settings by the provider. I have looked at logs nothing gets dropped when i run the tests, no errors on the internet, no crc etc.. There is no IPS module installed.

I also just noticed that if you run FTP test to ISP's FTP server i get around 9m/9m which is acceptable, so problem seems to be only with http uploads.

ASA is running

ASA version: 8.0.(2)

ASDM version: 6.1.(1)

Context mode: single

Total Flash: 64MB

Total Memory: 256MB

CPU Usage is around 4%

Memory Usage is 150MB

sh int | i errors

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

Has anyone experienced the similar behaviour? or has a solution please share....

Regards..

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If the problem only affects HTTP and not FTP (which also uses TCP), I would start by focusing on any configuration on the ASA that specifically looks at port 80 connections. Do you have HTTP inspection or URL filtering enabled? If so, try disabling them and seeing if the issue persists.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, URL filtering is disabled but i do have http inspection switched on. I tried switching http inspection off, but it made no difference.

Regards..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card