cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Upgrading OS

bmack2121
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I have a Cisco ASA 5510 with older images on it. I want to get my ASA updated to a more current OS.

I want to go from :

asa825-k8.bin - Firewall Image

asdm-621.bin

To:

asa941-203-smp-k8.bin

asdm-751-90.bin

If I tftp the images onto the ASA and change the boot path, everything else should work just fine correct? Please help asap.

1 Reply 1

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

As you are having ASA5510, you could only upgrade it to maximum of asa916-10-k8.bin

ASDM image is fine.

Also you need to follow an intermediate path to reach there :

8.2.5 --> 8.4.6 --> 9.1.6-10

Also you need to check memory requirement to ASA5510. Check 'show ver | in Hard'. RAM should be 1GB to upgrade to post 8.3 version.

Also you need to check below things :

- disable nat-control if enable. run 'no nat-control'

- Then check the nat exemptation's access-list. There should not be any access-list with 'any' keyward in source or destination field. If yes, then remove that entry from access-list and create manual nat statement later.

- if there are lot of 'names' configured then hide those names with 'no names' before upgrade.

Do not forget to take backup of the configuration before upgrade.

Please use the link below to get anything you need to know about migration to version post 8.3 :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/48646/asa-83-upgrade-what-you-need-know

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

Remember to mark the answer as correct if it answers your queries or rate the helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card