Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512-X with FirePower licensing in Active/Standby mode

denis.moiseenko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm quite new with cisco ASA. Could your please help me? I need to deploy this kind of solution:

Two ASA 5512-X with FirePower in multi context mode and in failover mode Active/Standby.

At this point I have one ASA 5512-X with base license. Do I understand correctly that I need to do the following thing:

1. Upgrade the current ASA 5512-X base license to the security plus license in order to support high availability and multi context
2. Upgrade the current ASA 5512-X with SKU ASA 5512-FP-UPG to support FirePower and additionally buy the SSD for the current ASA 5512-X
3. Buy new ASA 5512-X (ASA5512-FPWR-BUN) with security plus license and with FirePower subscription licence and also with the SSD
4. Buy FireSight management center

And also maybe somebody can clarify, if I have two ASA 5512-X with security plus licenses in failover mode active/standby, in this case will I have total 4 contexts for failover pair of the ASA or I will have just 2 for each of the ASA?

Also if I will buy an additional security contexts license (ASA5500-SC-5) for one of the ASA 5512-X? in this case will I have total of 7 contexts available for high availability pair in active/standby mode?

Thank you in advance
Denis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Denis,

You are right with all your step.

Regarding contexts, context in version 8.3 and above merges in failover pair. So if one ASA is having 2 and another is having 3 then total of 5 would be available. and again if you buy additional license for 3 more context for any one of the asa then, it would show up as merged (5+3=8) contexts.

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Denis,

You are right with all your step.

Regarding contexts, context in version 8.3 and above merges in failover pair. So if one ASA is having 2 and another is having 3 then total of 5 would be available. and again if you buy additional license for 3 more context for any one of the asa then, it would show up as merged (5+3=8) contexts.

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

Hi Akshay,

Thank you very much for your response!

Regards,

Denis

Hi Denis,

You're welcome.

Remember to mark the answer as correct if it answers your queries or rate the helpful posts.

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: