cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5515x going supernova

Daniel Hunter
Level 1
Level 1
We have an ASA5515 with fans that are running very loud and fast (twice the expected speed) looking at the environmentals the device is showing the following from 'show env temp cpu' command: Processor 1: 18446744073709551593.0 C I'm fairly sure the reading is inaccurate but just wondering if this is a known bug or a hardware issue with the sensor. Any pointers greatly appriciated.
2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The couple of 5500-X series that I just checked (running 9.2 and 9.3) all show normal, expected temperatures from that command.

I suspect the temperature sensor is faulty and the system's environment monitoring is thus telling the fans to blow harder to cool it down.

I'd open a TAC case.

By the way, I just checked and "Temperatures in our universe range from about 3,500,000,000 Kelvin (a supernova) to about 3 Kelvin (space). Our Sun is a class G yellow star and has an average surface temperature of 5,600 Kelvin.". Reference. :)

Thanks for the response. Thought I'd try giving the firewall another reboot before rasing a TAC case and it is now reporting normally.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card