Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 ASDM 6.4: Access Rules vs. ACL/ACE

dan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to Cisco firewalls. We are moving from a different vendor to ASA 5520s. So far my "training" for Cisco consists of s  Cisco press book, some white papers and guides, this website, and a bunch of mistakes. So, I have what is probably a pretty basic question for most folks.

Can some one help me understand the difference between Firewall Access Rules and ACL/ACE? And when to use which?

for example: on my ASA 5520s I've set up an Interface for my internal LAN: 172.16.x.x., a DMZ 192.168.2.0/24, and an interface for the Internet side. The 5520 is set up as a routing firewall betwen my internal lan, DMZ, and Internet.

If I want to allow my internal users Internet access for http and https would I use a Firewall Access rule?

For most of my rules allowing outbound access from my 172 LAN and DMZ and inbound access to devices in my DMZ can I mostly utilize the Firewall Access Rules?

Under what circumstance would I use ACL/ACE?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dan,

Imagine what it was to try to study for the CCSP track with the same info! It was a bit hard. Now, ACE/ACL part is the one you use to "match" traffic, for example a QoS policy for specific users, VPN interesting traffic and so on, the Firewall rules are the actual ACLs that allow or deny traffic.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Mike

Mike

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dan,

Imagine what it was to try to study for the CCSP track with the same info! It was a bit hard. Now, ACE/ACL part is the one you use to "match" traffic, for example a QoS policy for specific users, VPN interesting traffic and so on, the Firewall rules are the actual ACLs that allow or deny traffic.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Mike

Mike
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card