Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 upgrade from 8.2(1) to 8.2(4)

Stefan Engel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

We are having several ASA 5520 running today 8.2(1).

Actually we are no facing any issues...but just a general question:

Is it recommended to upgrade to 8.2(4)? When i look to the release notes, i can see, that there are may bugs fixed..

What is best practice?

Appreciate your answers.

Stefan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are right. It is recommended to upgrade the firewall to the latest version in the same train. If you are currently running version 8.2.1, it has gone through 3 minor releases to 8.2.4, hence there will be plenty of bug fixes.

You can keep current version of image 8.2.1 on the firewall for a couple of months after the upgrade, monitor the firewall after the upgrade, and if everything goes smoothly, you can either remove version 8.2.1 from flash, or keep that version in flash, just in case if you ever needed to roll back.

View solution in original post

Stefan,

Some say that if you're having no problems with the current OS, there's no need to upgrade then...

Now.. on the other hand.. if you're facing any problem, bug or whatever, then sure can go to 8.2(4)

Now, as far as I know 8.2(4) is definitely more stable and recommended that 8.2(1)

Just keep in mind that not necessarily the latest is the greatest...but I think it is (in this case).

Federico.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are right. It is recommended to upgrade the firewall to the latest version in the same train. If you are currently running version 8.2.1, it has gone through 3 minor releases to 8.2.4, hence there will be plenty of bug fixes.

You can keep current version of image 8.2.1 on the firewall for a couple of months after the upgrade, monitor the firewall after the upgrade, and if everything goes smoothly, you can either remove version 8.2.1 from flash, or keep that version in flash, just in case if you ever needed to roll back.

Stefan,

Some say that if you're having no problems with the current OS, there's no need to upgrade then...

Now.. on the other hand.. if you're facing any problem, bug or whatever, then sure can go to 8.2(4)

Now, as far as I know 8.2(4) is definitely more stable and recommended that 8.2(1)

Just keep in mind that not necessarily the latest is the greatest...but I think it is (in this case).

Federico.

Thanks a lot for this quick response.

Please kindly mark the post as answered if you have no further question. Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card