Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5550 Cluster Network Management Configuration

Our network management system (CA Spectrum) relies on a correctly modelled physical topology in order to find the root cause of a network failure. To accomplish this, we usually model our infrastructure devices (routers, switches) with their management ip addresses and snmp-communities. The physical links between the devices are modelled and the nms can then find the root cause of a network failure.

When it comes to my ASA 5550 active/standby failover cluster, I have not found a way to correctly model my topology, because in case of a failover the boxes switch the active and stanby IP addresses.

The thing I would need, is a possibility to pin an dedicated IP address to the mgmt0 Interface on both devices (one ip on the primary and one ip on the secondary), which do not swap in case of a cluster failover.

I have not found a way to configure this yet!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/failover.html#wp1051759

The IP address and MAC address for the Stateful Failover link does not change at failover unless the Stateful Failover link is configured on a regular data interface.

-KS

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately the ip address cannot be tied to a physical device (primary/secondary), but it is rather tied to the role (active/standby).

So, what you want to do cannot be achieved.

PK

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card