Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5550 V05 Active/passive one stop work

Diogo Buhler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a client, that got 2x ASA 5550 V05 and they were configured to act as active/passive but some months ago they had problems with them, so they remove them from the network.

Recently, I went there, and saw that one of the firewall (the one that was as passive) is not working, when I connect via console and reboot it I don't even see nothing, the boot starts, but suddenly, nothing shows up.

The things is that the client wants to get back to use the ASAs, so is there any way to fix that?

As an alternative we were thinking in acquire another ASA, to configure the two as active/passive again, the ASA that its working is:

ASA 5550 V05 ; Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(4) ; Device Manager Version 5.2(4) ; 8 Ports GB ( 4+4) ; asa724-k8.bin

My question is, I need an exactly the same model ASA?

I was thinking in put one ASA5555-2SSD120-K9. That would work?

Or should I try anything else? I don't have many skills with ASA specially troubleshooting it.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Harvey Ortiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Diogo,

The issue related to failed firewall could be related to a hardware issue, you may get some outputs from console session when the ASA is booting up. Try to boot up the firewall again, if this doesn´t work then you should open a TAC case so they can help you replacing the firewall(the ASA needs to be under an active contract).

Regarding ASA model and failover, both firewalls must be the same model(hardware).

See the below requirements for failover to work:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/pix-500-series-security-appliances/77809-pixfailover.html#req

Regards,

Harvey.

Please rate if this is correct answer.

Thank you Harvey,

The problem is that the client don't have any active contract.

And connecting via console, we don't get any information when booting up.

Only the leds turn on, but we can't see nothing on console.

Anyway, thank you for your reply

Hi Diogo,

what is the Led status from the failed ASA?

Based on this, we could have an idea about the issue. In some cases it could be related to a RAM memory issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card