cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5585X with AIP Module, how many interfaces can we monitor for ips purpose?

hassib-faridi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I work for a Cisco partner, we are proposing an ASA appliance with embedded AIP module. Client wants to monitor around 12-15 interfaces for intrusion prevention. We have proposed ASA5585-S10P10-K9. This has 16 Gig interfaces. The goal is to use these interfaces to monitor traffic from different segments, such as DMZ, distribution layer etc. Can anyone confirm, if this is possible? and what's the maximum number of sensors (application monitoring interfaces) does ASA support?

We want to utilize this product instead of IPS 4270 because of the cost issue. IPS box is costing around 110k, where as, ASA appliance with every feature required is costing around 55k. 

I will highly appreciate if someone can answer these queries for me.

Regards,

Hassib Faridi.

1 Reply 1

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hassib

Not sure what exactly you mean by "maximum number of sensors (application monitoring interfaces) does ASA  support"? there is no real limit on number of interfaces that can be monitored using the IPS module. All you need to ensure is you the right kind of traffic to the IPS so it does not get overwhlemed with a lot of traffic. This link should give the maximum thorughput supported:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks and Regards,

Prapanch

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card