cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.4 etherchannel with Sub Interfaces

corey.book
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out how to create an etherchannel with sub-interfaces on an asa 5520 running 8.4.1 code.  It doesn't seem to allow me to configure any type of sub interface on the port-channel or anywhere else once I create it.  Does anyone know if this is supported, and if so, would you show an example config?  I have been searching a while on this and can't seem to find out how.  Thank you much!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anu M Chacko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Corey,

Do you see any specific error message? Here is a doc on how to configure a subint on etherchannel:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html#wp1082576

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anu

P.S. Please mark the question as answered if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Anu M Chacko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Corey,

Do you see any specific error message? Here is a doc on how to configure a subint on etherchannel:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html#wp1082576

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anu

P.S. Please mark the question as answered if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts!

I haven't seen this exact document.  I will try this and let you know what I find out.  Thanks Anu!

You cannot create etherchannel from sub-interfaces however you can create sub-interfaces of etherchannel interface as this essentially becomes a single bundle port so creating a sub-interface on physical or etherchannel interface is same.

Ok so I figured it out.  You have to apply the "channel-group " command to the physical interfaces first before you can start creating sub-interfaces on the Port-channel.  I was trying to create sub-interfaces on the port channel first, and every time that I put entered "interface port-channel 1.10" it would error out.  Thanks for all the help.

Is this etherchannel sub-interface have a layer 3 config on it..or is it strictly layer 2 with the vlan id.

Can you post your config

I am trying do something similar.  Thanks

I want to create L3 port-channels sub-interfaces with vlan id.

On older models 5505s, you can L3 SVI, with the interfaces have L2 switchport access

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card