cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 9.8(2) support for FirePower 2110

Keith Miller
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the midst of working with a VAR to replace 5510s with 2110s and it's just been 1 caveat after another with these devices; mainly VPN. Then today, I received a Cisco software update notification for the 2110s with ASA code 9.8(2) listed. I decided to check it out, but I have more questions...

What exactly does this mean? Should I even be looking into this as an option or is FTD the answer now and in the long term? What type of feature support or lack of would I be looking at with the 9.8(2) ASA code?

ASA 9.8(2) Release Notes

TIA,

Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes - unfortunately when you run ASA on Firepower appliance you cannot add the Firepower service module like you can on an ASA appliance.

FCM isn't really a separate product - it's just the on-box Web UI for Firepower appliances. It's pretty easy to use and straightforward.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Many customers are frustrated with the caveats in FTD software. It is for that reason that Cisco decided to offer ASA on the Firepower 2100 series. It runs pretty much* like ASA software on the ASA appliance hardware - just a lot faster. Even with remote access VPN on FTD 6.2.1 of Firepower 2100 series since earlier this summer there are still caveats.

* Note all Firepower 2100, 4100 and 9300 series appliances use the Firepower Chassis Manager (FCM) for some hardware configuration and such. All the ASA features are still available - just those few are shifted onto FCM.

I can definitely see why people are frustrated. Why release products if they aren't ready for primetime. Yes, you may lose a few customers to your competitors in the short term but it's better than frustrating a whole heck of a lot more customers with half-baked products.

Does this mean I'd lose the ability to do IPS/AMP if I went down that road? It doesn't seem clear on that. I've not heard of the FCM... Yet another product to worry about.

Regards,

Keith

Yes - unfortunately when you run ASA on Firepower appliance you cannot add the Firepower service module like you can on an ASA appliance.

FCM isn't really a separate product - it's just the on-box Web UI for Firepower appliances. It's pretty easy to use and straightforward.

Thank you, I thought so but wasn't completely sure. This means we will not be getting our money's worth so I'll have to pass on that option.

Oh ok, I thought that was called Firepower Device Manager (FDM).

Thanks,

Keith

FDM is slightly different - that's the on-box manager for the ASA appliances running the FTD image.

It's a web UI as well - think FMC (stripped down quite a bit) and made to look more like a Meraki interface.

The larger Firepower appliances' sensors currently are only managed via FMC. On the smaller ASAs you can choose one or the other.

Thank you for the additional info. What a mess...
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card