Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware upgrade from ASA 5510 to ASA 5516-X

moThaSeb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are migrating from a 5510 platform to a 5516-x platform. 

We tried the backup and restore feature of ASDM which to partially work. 

This is because the interface names on 5516-X are GigabitEthernet while Ethernet on 5510. Hence a different cryptochecksum -> leading to ASDM restore feature not to work on the 5516-x side. 

This is the easiest method for us since many VPN, ipsec and certificates config on those boxes. 

Is there a method to change the running/startup config and recalculate the hash ? I tried md5 hashes between the head and the tail of the config, but the output hash is different. 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Marvin for the suggestion. 

I exported all the certificates that the boxes use and for which there were a private key in PKCS12, while taking note of the associated trustpoint name. I then imported the certificates on the new boxes by creating new trustpoints with same name. The same for CA certs. 

I also exported anyconnect images and imported as needed on the new boxes/ 

I then export the show run using the command you suggested ( "more system:running-config" ). Rearrenged some commands that were failing because some dependecy commands were to low on the config. 

The config look similar right now. 

Now it's time to test :) 

Thanks again ! 

M S

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As noted you cannot simply restore.

If you take the current running config by using the "more system:running-config" command you can extract everything including preshared keys. Certificates may need to be migrated over manually and/or possibly re-issued if they are bound to the current ASA's private key.

If you are working with a partner or Cisco SE you can potentially more easily migrate the configuration by asking them to use the internal Cisco migration tool.

Thanks Marvin for the suggestion. 

I exported all the certificates that the boxes use and for which there were a private key in PKCS12, while taking note of the associated trustpoint name. I then imported the certificates on the new boxes by creating new trustpoints with same name. The same for CA certs. 

I also exported anyconnect images and imported as needed on the new boxes/ 

I then export the show run using the command you suggested ( "more system:running-config" ). Rearrenged some commands that were failing because some dependecy commands were to low on the config. 

The config look similar right now. 

Now it's time to test :) 

Thanks again ! 

M S

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card