Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA active/standby issue

Tauer Drumond
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have 2 ASA working on Active/Standby fashion.
So I want to remove the standby one, to change all it's configurations for a specific lab.

What would happen, when I re-put this ASA together the Active one?
Should the standby configuration be moved automatically to the active one? (this is not good for me)

Should the active configuration be moved automatically to the other ASA, a.k.a "standby"?

Thanks

Tauer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tauer

It doesn't matter. The firewall that is up will be the active firewall. The 2nd firewall to come up will be the standby. If you are still nervous then the best thing to do would be to erase the config and leave just the failover commands on the standy before reconnecting it to the active firewall.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tauer

The active firewall should send it's config to the standby firewall so you should be fine.

Jon

Hi Jon,

What if I screw up the configuration on "standby" ASA... and even plug it back to the Active one?
I mean...how do they reconize each other to see: "oh... I'm the master... so I'll send all configuraiton to my partner" ?

Thanks for answer

Tauer

Tauer

It doesn't matter. The firewall that is up will be the active firewall. The 2nd firewall to come up will be the standby. If you are still nervous then the best thing to do would be to erase the config and leave just the failover commands on the standy before reconnecting it to the active firewall.

Jon

Hi Jon,

that's what I'm going to do.

Thank you so much!

Tauer

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card