Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA and Firepower

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Guys

Where is Cisco today with decommissioning the ASA platform and software and moving everything to the Firepower platform?

I need to replace my ASAs and are looking at options, we use remote access VPN with AD groups and DAP policies, am I right in saying that the Firepower software can also do this and give us what we need ?

Cheers

7 Replies 7

@carl_townshend 

The ASA hardware is EOL, you can only purchase Firepower hardware (or run Virtual images)

The Firepower hardware supports the ASA software image or FTD software image, you can run either.

ASA software is still being developed with new features and not going anywhere.

FTD software supports RAVPN the features you require, use FMC management as this provides the most functionality (as opposed to local management using FDM). FMC comes as either physical hardware, virtual image or cloud managed (cdFMC).

Hi

Why are Cisco still developing the ASA and not moving to the Firepower? I am confused why they are still pushing both solutions,. Why are customers staying with the ASA platform in general?

Because they use ASA for long time and some engineer dont want to use new FW

MHM

@carl_townshend Cisco said (CLEUR 24) there is still customer demand out there that want the basic functionality that the ASA provides (such L4 firewalling, simple VPNs etc without NGFW features).

Hi Rob, this is the same demand as we have, my engineers like to use the ASA, they are nice and easy to work with and are great at VPNs. would you say the best fit for this would be to keep the software but use the FTD hardware ?

@carl_townshend yes that is fine to use ASA software on new Firepower hardware. VPNs is one of the best use cases for the ASA software.

remote access VPN with AD groups and DAP policies

YES FTD support DAP 
Cisco Secure Firewall Threat Defense Dynamic Access Policy Use Cases - Cisco

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card