cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Deployment 2100 Deployment use cases for Appliance vs Platform mode

NetworkTinker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've got a pair of FPR-2120 (new to me) sitting on my workbench and started to tinker with FXOS as ASA Deployment  before opening up the documentation to formally learn more about it.... (I've been working with the 55xx for a while) As a result of the documentation I've come to learn a few new definitions in version 9.13.....

To paraphrase you can now run the units in 2 modes as of 9.13!

• Platform mode - gives you the full functionality of FXOS (as version prior).
  • Appliance mode(new) - remove the complexities of initial FXOS setup , and is more like 55xx ASA SW but can access FXOS if needed.  

The documentation doesn't really provide any use-cases for one VS the other (nor dose CLI books), and was wondering what the community thinks to choose one over the another.

as I've not used this version HW or SW before,so I'm not aware of any particular software limitations/gotcha learn from experience in deploying these..... at the moment, I see in the doc there not support in for Backup nor AAA in Platform mode,......Ouch    

I think my use could go either way as it's for a remote office via internet over IPSEC VPN(managed remotely). where the FXOS management network could sit behind the ASA inside interface off a switch SVI .(effectively routed via ASA to the SVI to reach that network.).  at the moment.   

Thanks for considering my request.

18 Replies 18

Thanks Marvin

/Chess

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Do I need to unregister the ASA from the smart license server before changing the mode from platform to appliance and then re-register with a new token after the change? Or is that not necessary?

Thanks

/Chess

When a configuration is cleared, that would include the mart licensing configuration. You can unregister from the ASA side first or, if that isn't done, just delete that instance from the SCCM portal prior to re-registering with a new token.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

/Chess

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card