Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Dynamic Routing and Static NAT

Chuan Liu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a ASA5510 with 2 internal interfaces (inside1 and inside2 same security level) configured with OSPF for dynamic routing with 2 routers to corporate subnets. I have a server in a private subnet that needs to be accessed from Internet. So static pat is used in ASA with the command

static (inside1, outside) tcp interface www 192.168.1.1 www netmask 255.255.255.255

As OSPF is in use, the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 may be reachable from interface inside2. When I tried to configure the static command for inside2,

static (inside2, outside) tcp interface www 192.168.1.1 www netmask 255.255.255.255

the error message came out "WARNING: mapped-address conflict with existing static...". Is this just a warning, or this is not possible in ASA.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

This is not possible routing for subnet 192.168.1.0/24 will only point to one interface  inside1 or inside 2. Thats the reason error msg is coming.

In ASA when we configure route we need to tell outgoing interface for ex.

route inside x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

So while configuring 2nd command of yours makes ASA confusing what would be the outgoing interface for this traffic.

Thanks

Ajay

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

This is not possible routing for subnet 192.168.1.0/24 will only point to one interface  inside1 or inside 2. Thats the reason error msg is coming.

In ASA when we configure route we need to tell outgoing interface for ex.

route inside x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

So while configuring 2nd command of yours makes ASA confusing what would be the outgoing interface for this traffic.

Thanks

Ajay

Thanks Ajay,

Then what is the point of having dynamic routing capability in ASA?

Regards.

Chuan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card