Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA failover behind another ASA in failover

Hi all,

I have a very strange question and not sure if this is the right place but I'll try.

I currently have 2 ASA 5520 in Active/Standby failover in routed mode and working perfectly. I recently acquired 2 ASA 5525-X which I would like to temporally use behind the existing 5520s in transparent mode also in Active/Standby, as I would like to monitor the traffic. My problem is that although failover is configured for all of the devices and is working I can't seem to find a way to synchronize or enable failover when the first pair fails so the second pair follows the first.

I have played with the poll times on the second pair and used

failover polltime interface msec 500 holdtime 5

but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

M

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't synchronize them for most failure scenarios.

If you put a switch between the routed pair and transparent pair, they won't need to be in sync.

Hi Marvin,

So if I understand this correctly, there is no way for the second pair to detect that the first pair has failed over unless there is a hardware failure. Just to add here that the firewalls are not doing any load balancing so there is only one active outside connection at any given time. So, unless I can force the second pair to detect the change I am actually stuck.

I would have thought that you could set the hold time on the interface to that affect but that doesn't work if the corresponding interface is alive but on standby.

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card