Helpful
Replies

ASA Failover issues when using Ethernet Channel and stacked switches

itmanager180
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I use 2 ASA5512 Active/Standby and 2X stacked 3850 in my live environment

i have an issue with the failover i loos the ethernet channel when failing over to the standby unit

i have raised this with cisco support and they came back with the answer design is not supported, the combination of using ethernet channel with stacked switch is not support when is crossed

the Ethernet channel is crossed in the current setup (please see image for the old design)

1 - If i change the design to use ethernet channels (not crossed) with the stacked switches will that work? (Please see image new design)

2 - the issue i have then if the new design works is if node 0 (3850 switch ) fails then Node 1 will be dead, how can i resolve this issue

Many thanks in advanced for your help and taking time guys

Theo

2 Replies 2

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can try using the workaround mentioned in this enahncement and see if this works in your environment:-

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtw63096/?reffering_site=dumpcr

NOTE:- This is not supported by CISCO.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Thanks Vibhor, the problem is if i go to non supprted solution i will not get smartnet support from cisco TAC

Can anyone suggest a redesign so it will be supported by cisco?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: