cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA failover key

N3t W0rK3r
Level 3
Level 3

Can I issue the "failover key" on an active ASA in an A/S HA pair without impacting service?  How would I get this command onto the other ASA because I assume that as soon as I issue the command on the active unit, I will break the failover pair and lose access to the standby unit.

Thanks in advance.

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

Hi John,

It would be recommended to add the failover in a controlled maintenance window even if you have out-of-band access to both devices.

The failover key needs to be added to both devices simultaneously, I mean add to both and execute almost at same time(press enter). Better do in a maintenance window, but from a functionality perspective, there is no such document which states that this can or can not be done during normal working hours.

As a good practice, any failover process related options should be planned.

FYI, I have seen people doing it on the fly and being successful, but its a call that you have to take.

HTH
AJ

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

Hi John,

It would be recommended to add the failover in a controlled maintenance window even if you have out-of-band access to both devices.

The failover key needs to be added to both devices simultaneously, I mean add to both and execute almost at same time(press enter). Better do in a maintenance window, but from a functionality perspective, there is no such document which states that this can or can not be done during normal working hours.

As a good practice, any failover process related options should be planned.

FYI, I have seen people doing it on the fly and being successful, but its a call that you have to take.

HTH
AJ

I agree that any change should be completed during maintenance window.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card