cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Failover Link Goes down

Ajayadav
Level 1
Level 1

If failover and data link goes down on active device.

Failover will happen or not.

9 Replies 9

Sure Yes 
failover and monitor interface is down it must failover.

In my scenario, failover is not happening if both data and failover link are down. means active remains active and standby remains standby

@Ajayadav assuming you are monitoring the interfaces using the 'monitor-interface' command, yes it will failover.

+

there is  something wrong can I see 
show failover ?

still waiting.

Yes we are monitoring the data interafces, 

In my scenario, failover is not happening if both data and failover link are down. means active remains active and standby remains standby

@Ajayadav ok, so if failover link has failed, then it won't failover.

"You must restore the failover link as soon as possible because the unit cannot failover to the standby unit while the failover link is down." https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/asa-failover-interface-principles/m-p/1673104

If this is an issue, for the failover link create an etherchannel of multiple physical interfaces.

I could be wrong here, but I think if the failover link goes down, the standby unit will try to determine if a failover is required through its data interfaces, and will potentially failover. However, any subsequent failover will not happen until the failover link is restored.

You dont share show failover 
anyway I want to clear something here 
when the ASA failover happened
failover link is Down 
data link monitor is Down BUT here the trick 
there is percentage of how many data link monitored is Down before the ASA declare that Peer is down and failover happened 
if the percentage not achieve the ASA still send message via failover link and keep notice reply but the failover not happened until the Data link monitored is above the percentage. 

that My view for this issue 
MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card