Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Load Sharing to Single ISP

isa-aston-03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have read through countless posts on my question and have gleaned a lot of information from them.

My scenario is this.

We have a 6500 core connected to two ASA's in active/standby mode. The ASAs are connected to two 3550 switches which are providing BGP pairing with each other and our ISPs Internet links, both 1Gb/s one to each switch, running as primary/backup. The ASA has a default route to the HSRP address shared by the switches.

We have cause to allocate a subnet from our range to a third party temporarily. I would like to route this subnet through the backup link (outgoing and incoming)

I can configure BGP to route accordingly, but this will only apply for incoming traffic.

I could put a route-map on on of the 3550's to reroute traffic based on source ip to use the other switch/backup link, but this will waste bandwidth on the switch interface.

Any other ideas how I can push one subnet out of one switch, and the rest through the other?

Many thanks for reading,

Phil.

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could use the weight attribute in BGP to influence that route to go out the backup circuit. You will have to configure it using a route map so only the specific route gets weighted. I think a static route would work too. Since the ASA does not support PBR, I don't think it's possible there.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card