Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Security Level Help

joepeters1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've just started a new role and after looking at the ASA 5550 config I have an issue.  The inside interface has security level 0 and outside security level 100!

It's been like this for years!

So there're lots of inbound rules , some NAT entries and a couple of site-to-site VPN's attached to outside interface that has built up over the years so the config is working.

So what I'm asking is if I were to swap security levels to the way it should be, surly the exiting config shouldn't be affected by the change?

Cheers 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rishabh Seth
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are planning to change the security levels of the interface then should consider the traffic that should be permitted from the new lower security level interface to higher security level interface.

Also you have mentioned that you already have ACLs on the inside interface. So once you change the security level to 100 on the inside interface, the ACL will still take precedence and you will need to add more ACL entries to permit/deny traffic.

Hope it helps!!!

Thanks,

R.Seth

Don't forget to mark the answer as correct if it helps in resolving your query!!!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rishabh Seth
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are planning to change the security levels of the interface then should consider the traffic that should be permitted from the new lower security level interface to higher security level interface.

Also you have mentioned that you already have ACLs on the inside interface. So once you change the security level to 100 on the inside interface, the ACL will still take precedence and you will need to add more ACL entries to permit/deny traffic.

Hope it helps!!!

Thanks,

R.Seth

Don't forget to mark the answer as correct if it helps in resolving your query!!!

Thanks Rishabh

After checking and re-checking finally swapped security levels, all seems ok so far...PHEW

Great :)!!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card