cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Software Upgrade For 5525-X

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of never-used ASA5525-Xs that have been lying around, and I am trying to figure out what software to use. They currently have 8.6(1)2 and thought I should probably upgrade to the latest and greatest.

When I drill down through the Cisco download section I end up with "Cisco ASA 5585-X CX Security Services Processor" as my only choice, other than a couple of modules I don't have. The file description is "ASA-CX System Software for 5500-X and 5585-X platforms", so I guess it's applicable to all the ASA NGs.

So is this the new software for ASAs? The ASAs I have are not CX versions, and I have no need for content management, so I'm wondering if I should be using something else.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most stable release recommended by Cisco (as of right now for that platform) is 9.1(2). The filename you would use is asa912-smp-k8.bin.

You can see all the available releases on this page.

You should also upgrade to and use the latest ASDM - currently 7.2(2) and available here.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most stable release recommended by Cisco (as of right now for that platform) is 9.1(2). The filename you would use is asa912-smp-k8.bin.

You can see all the available releases on this page.

You should also upgrade to and use the latest ASDM - currently 7.2(2) and available here.

Hey thanks. I thought "software on chassis" was a heading not a link, duh. Still seems strange having the 5585cx listed in there though, even if it is the same file.

This particular network is pretty basic, about 30 servers split between an inside and DMZ network, and an internet connection. I'm just permitting some https and sftp traffic inbound, a handful of VPN tunnels and that's about it, no workstations. Do you think I should upgrade, or is it just going to give me a bunch of features I don't need?

8.6 was the initial release on that hardware. I'd definitely go with at least the 9.1(2) for the bug fixes if nothing else.

Unless you need anything specifically released on the later versions (like BGP) or run into one of the later-resolved caveats, you'll be best served by 9.1(2) at this time.

hi marvin,

we're going to order a few of this appliance.

is it advisable to go for 9.1(2) code rather than leave it at default (8.6)?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card