Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA THROUGHPUT

gquar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On the data sheets it states that the throughput for a 5515-X is 1.2Gbps, does this mean the total throughput through the firewall or does this mean 1.2Gbps in both directions at the same time.

I need to purchase a firewall for a 1Gbps line.

Example:

Server1------1Gbps-----ASA----1Gbps----Server2

If both servers are transmitting and receiving at the same time does this mean I will be able to get 1Gbps in both directions at the same time or just 600Mbps. I know depending on traffic type the speed will vary, but look at this as the theoretical maximum.

Thanks

George 

8 Replies 8

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Throughput is always going to be calculated for one direction only as a link is always Full Duplex.

So , this will be around 600 Mbps in Real Time environment.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Hi Vibhor,

Thanks for the prompt response. Looks like I will need a ASA5555 as it will be multiprotocol traffic.

Thanks again

George

Glad i was able to help.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Hello George,

Since you have mentioned that you need a firewall with 1Gbps throughput and if budget isn't an issue, you may check the Cisco ASA 5525-X. This has a maximum of 2Gbps thus giving you the 1Gbps throughput in real environment. This will also provide you a headroom in case you will have an upgrade or expansion. You may check this link for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/data-sheet-c78-729807.html

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have additional questions. You may email me at alyreyes@cisco.com

Kind regards.

Hi Alyza,

As this is going to use 1Gbps of traffic in both directions(this is connecting to a cloud service which will be used for DR, Production and Backups) and it will be multiprotocol traffic I would need an ASA that can handle 2Gbps real throughput? it will also be running BGP, I think the minimum spec I would need would be a ASA5555?

Cloud ServerFarm----SP_Router-----1G VLAN Trunk-----ASA55xx------ServerFarm, Users

Regards

George

bsiapco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, gquar@city.

Hows your requirement going? Both Cisco ASA 5555 and 5525 can provide the throughput that you need. Its just the ASA 5525 can give you more space if you need to expand in the future. 

Goodluck on this project!

If you need more information /assistance please feel free to reached me at (bsiapco@cisco.com).

Hi,

I don't think the 5525 would be any use, the multiprotocol throughput speed is only 1Gbps, this would mean if I am sending 1Gbps in both directions then the ASA wouldn't be able to handle it?

1Gbps--->

Cloud ServerFarm----SP_Router-----1G VLAN Trunk-----ASA55xx------ServerFarm, Users

<---1Gbps

Doesn't the throughput figure mean total traffic going through the firewall from all the interfaces?

Regards

George

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: