cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa5505 dns issue

vgreenlee
Level 1
Level 1

I have just set up my asa5505 and while in the sh run I have the following lines

dhcpd address 192.168.2.200-192.168.2.231 inside

dhcpd enable inside

!

dhcpd dns 68.94.156.1 interface outside

When a client connects to the device like:

192.168.2.215 there is no dns assigned. My devices are unable to access the internet unless I manually assign the dns in the local settings for that host. Any ideas? I am under the impression there is a bug somehow on this point.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Try it with setting it for the "inside" interface

dhcpd dns x.x.x.x interface inside

I have never run into problems with the ASA DHCP

I guess you could even consider booting the whole computer or perhaps saving ASA configuration and booting it up if possible

- Jouni

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The "dns" related command should be

dhcpd dns 68.94.156.1 interface inside

Or just without the "interface inside" at all

If you dont specify an interface then it means its globally used DNS server for all DHCP pools configured on the ASA. If the "interface " is added then it means that that DNS server(s) are only applied to the mentioned interfaces DHCP Pool which means you can have different DNS servers for different DHCP Pools.

Remember to mark the reply as the correct answer if it answered your question.

- Jouni

I will try this. I would like to make the change via cli and I am in config t what would the command be?

I tried to just enter dhcpd dns 68.94.156.1 (without the interface at all) and got an invalid input error.

Thanks for your help!

Vincent

Hi,

It should be possible to enter like this

ASA(config)# dhcpd dns 1.1.1.1

For example

- Jouni

I fat fingered the dhcpd command which is why it failed.

I input the command correctly this time and still after an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew I still get no dns assigned

Hi,

Try it with setting it for the "inside" interface

dhcpd dns x.x.x.x interface inside

I have never run into problems with the ASA DHCP

I guess you could even consider booting the whole computer or perhaps saving ASA configuration and booting it up if possible

- Jouni

Definate learnings here. Assigning the interface is required. The generic non interface command line didnt work.

Thanks for your help Jounl!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card