cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5508 - ASDM User Accounts

wynneitmgr
Level 3
Level 3

New to Firewall Management and need some help. firewall1.pngWe have a couple User Accounts setup in Cisco ASDM. We htought these users were for the ability to login directly to the Firewall from "outside" our network. Is that what these users are for? Do I login to our WAN IP? How do these users login. Thanks for any advise!

25 Replies 25

Hi,
Yes, these use accounts do have admin rights to login to ASDM. To configure access to login from the outside you would need to ensure you permit access "http 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside". The users need to open a web browser, enter the outside ip address and then download ASDM.

The user accounts could be also be used for remote access (however they do have full admin rights, so they could manage the ASA also).

HTH

Do I need an IP setup for HTTP? I have 3 in here for SSH.

Also, how do I know which IP address to use when I logon using web browser? Thank you for your help!

firewall2.png

You would have to permit all IP addresses on the outside interface for ASDM/HTTPS - unless you know the source, in which case define those static IP addresses.

The IP address to connect to when using the web browser is the IP address of your "outside" interface.

HTH

Here is what I have under Access and NAT Rules.

firewall3.pngfirewall4.png

It's got nothing to do with NAT, you need to connect to the IP address assigned to the outside interface.

I am believing it would be the same as the outside-network in my Network Objects.

firewall5.png

Well your outside interface IP address would be part of that object "outside-network". From ASDM go to Configuration > Device Setup > Interfaces. The public IP address named "outside" would be the IP address you need to use.

Okay, I found that IP address, so now do I need to setup an Access Rule for that IP address? Thank you!!

You configure management access in ASDM as per the screenshot in your 1st reply or per my first reply, with the command "http 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside". This would permit access from any IP address on the internet to access your ASA on it's outside interface's IP address.

Does it make a difference if I already have a ASDM/HTTPS setup for Management at 0.0.0.0? Not sure if I can have both. Thanks!

firewall6.png

You need it enabled on the outside interface if you are connecting from the outside interface, which it sounds like what you intend to do.

I get an error when trying to add 

firewall7.png

Ok, fine...you already enabled in on the outside and management interfaces in the previous screenshot. You should just apply and save the configuration, then test connection to the outside interface IP address - from an IP address that is on the outside of the ASA (in other words don't connect from your inside network).

I had not hit apply yet when I took that screenshot. So will it work if I just have the Outside set for ASDM/HTTPS and not Management?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card