Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 Software Upgrade from 7.0.8 to 8.x

vipinrajrc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Experts...........

I have a ASA5510, it is currently running 7.0.8. Its RAM and Flash size are 256MB. Could I upgrade from 7.0.8 to 8.x??????

Which is the stable version in 8.x trail???? Now my plan is to upgrade to 7.2.5... Please help ASAP....

Thanks&Regards

Vipin raj

Thanks and Regards, Vipin
3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Totally correct. As long as you save your existing running config (write memory) prior to reloading the ASA, it will be available after the upgrade.

View solution in original post

Hello Vipin,

Nope you can not uprgade directly. Please upgrade to ASA 7.2.5 and then proceed with upgrade to ASA 8.0.x

Upgrade Paths:

ASA 7.0.x -> 7.2.x(7.2.5) -> 8.0x -> 8.2.x

You can directly upgrade to ASA 8.4 from ASA 7.0.x

FYI: Post ASA 8.3 the memory requirements and NAT style is different.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Chirag
P.S.: Please mark this thread as answered if you feel your query is answered. Do rate helpful posts.

Correct, you can upgrade directly from 7.0.8 to 7.2.5, and from 7.2.5 directly to 8.0.5.

12 Replies 12

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The latest release that you can upgrade it to is 8.0.5 as version 8.2 onwards requires memory of 1 GB for ASA5510.

Here is the release notes for version 8.0.5:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/release/notes/asa805rn.html

Hope that helps.

halijenn wrote:

The latest release that you can upgrade it to is 8.0.5 as version 8.2 onwards requires memory of 1 GB for ASA5510.

Here is the release notes for version 8.0.5:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/release/notes/asa805rn.html

Hope that helps.

Hi

Is 8.0.5 version is stable??? Is it better than 7.2.5???

Thanks&Regards

Vipin Raj

8.0.5 is a pretty stable code. It really depends on what you are using the ASA and also your environment as different customers have different environments so we can't say one version is more stable compared to the other.

However, 8.0.5 is definitely a newer software compared to version 7.2.5, so my suggestion would be to run 8.0.5 if you have the option, than running an older version of code (7.2.5) as the newer the software is the more feature it will support.

halijenn wrote:

8.0.5 is a pretty stable code. It really depends on what you are using the ASA and also your environment as different customers have different environments so we can't say one version is more stable compared to the other.

However, 8.0.5 is definitely a newer software compared to version 7.2.5, so my suggestion would be to run 8.0.5 if you have the option, than running an older version of code (7.2.5) as the newer the software is the more feature it will support.

Hi

So after upgrade the current running configuration will be there???? No issues right???

Thanks&Regards

Vipin

Totally correct. As long as you save your existing running config (write memory) prior to reloading the ASA, it will be available after the upgrade.

halijenn wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your reply...

halijenn wrote:

Hi

one more doubt ..........just to confirm....

Can i directly upgrade to 8.0.5 from 7.0.8??? no incremental upgrade is needed,right????

Hello Vipin,

Nope you can not uprgade directly. Please upgrade to ASA 7.2.5 and then proceed with upgrade to ASA 8.0.x

Upgrade Paths:

ASA 7.0.x -> 7.2.x(7.2.5) -> 8.0x -> 8.2.x

You can directly upgrade to ASA 8.4 from ASA 7.0.x

FYI: Post ASA 8.3 the memory requirements and NAT style is different.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Chirag
P.S.: Please mark this thread as answered if you feel your query is answered. Do rate helpful posts.

Hi

Thanks for your reply... But i can upgrade directly from 7.0.8 to 7.2.5,right???

Thanks

Vipin

Correct, you can upgrade directly from 7.0.8 to 7.2.5, and from 7.2.5 directly to 8.0.5.

Hi Jennifer/Chirag,

Thanks for your support... u guys rocks!!!!!!!

Thanks&Regards

Vipin Raj

Hey Vipin,

I am glad to assist. Happy posting!!

Regards,
Chirag

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card