cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5515 End of Life Replacement 5516 vs 2100 models

John Forester
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone discussed the options with the 5512/5515 models going end of life and whether or not they would consider the newer 2100 models versus the 5516/5525 models? I had a few questions and was wondering if anyone has dealt with the new models coming out:

1 - Does the new 2100 series use the same CLI to create Interfaces, VPN's, ACL's, NAT's, etc, or is it more GUI driven. Our shop is a CLI shop, so I was wondering if there is a big learning curve on getting used to the different software versions between the two models. When I looked through the configuration guide on the 2100 models, it didn't tell how to create these items from CLI... It just had some show commands to view their status (some are very different commands from the ASA CLI, but at least good old packet-tracer was still in there!)

2 - We use a lot of fiber connections, so the 5516 is not an option for our shop. Does anyone know if there is a 5516 coming out that will have modules, like for a 6 port SFP module? The 2110 and 2120 have only 4 SFP ports - that might not be enough

3 - Since the 5515 is going end of life, will the 5525 be going soon too? We want to get 7-10 years out of our gear, so we want long term support! If I ask the boss for 5525's I'm afraid I'll lose support soon.

Thanks in advance for all advice/answers!

I have a ticket in with Cisco asking these questions, but would appreciate input from as many folks as I can

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card