Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5520 can't connect with ASDM

Max Kalachov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with ASDM connection to ASA 5520 cluster.

When I'm trying to connect the ASDM shows: "Contacting the device. Please wait..." and nothing happen.

The http server is enabled with default port.

Both cluster members after restart.

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.4(1)

Device Manager Version 6.4(1)

Any ideas what I can do to resolve this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Great to hear it's working now. Good finding.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you pls share your configuration, and also are you able to telnet or ssh to the ASA?

What ip address are you trying to HTTP to?

Hi Jennifer,

I'm able to connect via SSH or via HTTP (in browser). The connection to the firewall to external address (from untrust).

It's a little bit problem to attach full configuration due to company security policy. Can I attach partial configuration or send you config not via forum attachement?

Thank you

Do you mean that you are able to HTTP to the ASA via browser, however, the standalone ASDM connection to the ASA doesn't work?

When you HTTP to the ASA via browser, do you download the ASDM client from the browser, or you use the Java option?

Problem solved.

Unfortunately or fortunately there was system netto issue, the problem was with java version 7 update that was installed on computers. The rollback to java 6 update 22 solve the problem.

Great to hear it's working now. Good finding.

sfz000005
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to connect to ASDM and configure my ASA 5510 with my Windows 7 laptop. Now I am trying to connect using a Linux laptop to do the same, without success.

I am confused - I can ssh into the firewall using the management port from the Linux command line. However, I cannot connect using ASDM.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

Try next steps to connect from Linux via ASDM:

1. Install Open JDK java 6 runtime

2. Install IcedTea Java webstart

3. Connect to ASA via HTTP

4. Choose Run ASDM

5. Save asdm.jnlp file

6. Run in console "javaws asdm.jnlp"

7. You will see some additional files downloaded and ASDM will start

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: