Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM not sync while failover

jewfcb001
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All ,
As Picture below. I try to failover ASA from Primary to Secondary and I monitor in ASDM data in graph lost while failover. 
I would like to know this situation is normal behavior of ASA or not .

I'm running ASA Version 9.16(2)14 and  ASDM  7.16(1.150)
ASA Case.png

10 Replies 10

This normal I think it is managment traffic not data traffic' so it end only in one device and when failover happens the traffic not pass to other' you need new management traffic to new active FW.

Cisco recommends use management interface for both FW.

@MHM Cisco World 
Thank you . But I  use manage interface for access devices and asdm. I see graph in ASDM it's seem both ASA.

from cisco guide 

After a failover event, you should either re-launch ASDM or switch to another device in the Devices pane and then come back to the original ASA to continue monitoring the device. This action is necessary because the monitoring connection is not re-established when ASDM is disconnected from and then reconnected to the device.

ASDM Book 1: Cisco ASA Series General Operations ASDM Configuration Guide, 7.4 - Failover for High Availability [Cisco ASA 5500-X Series Firewalls] - Cisco

@MHM Cisco World 

Thank you for information . It's mean .As figure above it's normal behavior. 

Did you try cisco recommends ?

@MHM Cisco World 

Yes . I tried . I observe after I login to ASDM after failover or other event ASDM will start monitoring new stat after I login done.  It's ASDM monitor ASA real-time not get data from ASA or not ? Can you explain me. Please ?

tvotna
Spotlight
Spotlight

This looks more like a bug, than a feature, because I believe that it is ASA which does monitoring of various metrics and not the ASDM. For example, "show asdm history feature perfmon" output should not have gaps in it and ASDM should be able to request statistics after failover from missing time intervals.

I worry this scenario are bug . But from MHM information may be normal behavior of ASA and ASDM.

Does that happen during the failover process? or after the secondary device became the active?

@Aref Alsouqi 

Yes . occur while failover done . after failover done the issue occur from figure above. 

I'm running ASA version 9.16(2)14 / ASDM  7.16(1.150)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card