mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

Need to confirm when i see the NAT   on ASDM  it shows under

Action translated  packet

Source

outside(P)  does P  mean here we are doing dynamic PAT

When we see (S)  in bracket does it mean the we are doing STATIC NAT?

When we see (D) in bracket what does it  mean ?

Regards

MAhesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

I don't usually use ASDM at all for configuring NAT so had to check the settings on the ASDM side.

It would seem to me that the letter mean the following

• S = Static (Static NAT and Static PAT)
  • P = Dynamic PAT
  • D = Dynamic NAT or Dynamic PAT Pool

Letter P would refer to a NAT configuration that does Dynamic PAT for several hosts to a single PAT IP address.

Letter D would seem to refer to a NAT configuration that either does Dynamic NAT for several hosts to a pool of NAT IP addresses or it does Dynamic PAT for several hosts to a pool of PAT IP addresses.

In Dynamic NAT each host gets its own NAT IP address until the pool runs out. Dynamic PAT Pool to my understanding just uses multiple different IP addresses for the basic Dynamic PAT translations for hosts behind the firewall.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

I don't usually use ASDM at all for configuring NAT so had to check the settings on the ASDM side.

It would seem to me that the letter mean the following

• S = Static (Static NAT and Static PAT)
  • P = Dynamic PAT
  • D = Dynamic NAT or Dynamic PAT Pool

Letter P would refer to a NAT configuration that does Dynamic PAT for several hosts to a single PAT IP address.

Letter D would seem to refer to a NAT configuration that either does Dynamic NAT for several hosts to a pool of NAT IP addresses or it does Dynamic PAT for several hosts to a pool of PAT IP addresses.

In Dynamic NAT each host gets its own NAT IP address until the pool runs out. Dynamic PAT Pool to my understanding just uses multiple different IP addresses for the basic Dynamic PAT translations for hosts behind the firewall.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

You are really Great  in ASA  world!

Best Regards

MAhesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: