Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert

nanlavispa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question with our Core switch Catalyst 4507. a couple of months i had this experienced that i can't access my password in my catalyst 4507. which i have a password management document. after trying my assigned password for many times it was unsuccesful. when i tried using cisco default password from other reference i was able to login using "cisco" password. for security reason we change password every now and then but with proper documents. Just this days, again i can't access my password for this device only i also try default password but not able to login. My question is, how could this happen? how can i access my Catalyst 4507 configuration without causes downtime in my network connectivity. remember this is my coreswitch and we are running 24hours a day 7 days a week. Please help! looking forward to received answers.

Thanks and regards.

Pete

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sooprasa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pete,

I'm afraid you will not be able to recover the password without going to the ROMmon mode, for which you will have to power cycle the device which in turn will cause a network outage. You will have to arrange for a maintainace window and recover the password.

Below i have mentioned the link which gives you step by step procedure for password recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_password_recovery09186a00800945f7.shtml

P.S.: please mark this thread as answered if you  feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Sooraj

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

sooprasa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pete,

I'm afraid you will not be able to recover the password without going to the ROMmon mode, for which you will have to power cycle the device which in turn will cause a network outage. You will have to arrange for a maintainace window and recover the password.

Below i have mentioned the link which gives you step by step procedure for password recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_password_recovery09186a00800945f7.shtml

P.S.: please mark this thread as answered if you  feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Sooraj

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card