cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Back to Back Cisco ASA Firewall (Internal and External)

VCsupport17
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Community,

I am new with Cisco firewall and need some advice on the network diagram.

We will deploy 2x ASA firewall 5516 with Firepower for external and internal. We will use SG500-X switch in the network for DMZ and LAN.

Based on the diagram and network devices, i need to know if this will work? Also i need some deployment guide on how to implement 2 firewalls with DMZ configuration.

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

VCsupport17
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Community,

I would like to ask what is better design between the below diagrams with two back to back Cisco ASA firewall:

1. DMZ is on external firewall and External firewall (inside interface) is connected directly to Internal firewall (outside interface).

2. A DMZ is in between the External and Internal firewall with DMZ switch connected with each other.

Need your recommendation please.

Thank you.

Both designs will work for sure. I am not sure why you have implemented 2 ASA when we could have achieved with just one ASA. DMZ anyways would be a different segment. And 2 ASA inline is adding to latency because each ASA has to process the traffic as per their configured policies.

If one of the design has to be there, I can just think of below criteria that we can check for the implementation:

- In design 1 , we are adding one more hop between the lan and dmz segment which is not the case in design 2. If the communication between lan and dmz is required/expected and we expect some good amount of traffic(like server backup etc), design 2 should be considered. This is to improve efficiency and take load off the external ASA.

Apart from that, I dont see anything else. This is assuming that both ASA are implemented in similar fashion.

Please let me know if you have any specific requirement/criteria in mind that can be explored.

-

AJ 

Hi AJ,

Thank you for your helpful comments.

We will consider the option 2 and we will add also are core switch (3850) in between the internal firewall and the SG500-X Stackable LAN switch.

Is there any guide on how we can configure the two ASA firewalls with the design we want to implement?

Thanks and regards.

Sy

Hi Sy,

Unfortunately, there isn't a design guide specifically for this requirement. This should be fairly simple to deploy. Let me know if there are any specific concerns regarding this design.

Regards,

AJ

Hi AJ,

This is how we will interconnect the 2 firewalls on the network. Could you advise if this diagram will work fine? 

I have followed the network connection on this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/5508X/ftd-fmc-5508x-qsg.html

Thanks and regards.

I don't see any issues as such with the design. If you have a firepower/IPS module in the ASA 5515x, for outbound traffic (lan-to-internet and internet-to-lan), you can have one of the ASA inspect it and skip on second ASA since inspecting it twice would add to latency and does not make sense. 

Other than that, I don't see any flaws with the design. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

HTH

-AJ

Hi Community,

I have the external firewall ASA 5506 configured from internet service provider to DMZ  and I would like to add an internal firewall ASA 5506 to connect my local area network. do you have any guide I can follow?.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card