cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up the VPN3005

taagaard
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to do an automated backup of the VPN3005 using scp.

First, I downloaded the source for openssh 3.6.1-p2 ( looks like openssh 3.4-x does not return the correct scp exit code) and compiled it.

Running the command 'scp -oProtocol=1 admin@<ip>:CONFIG /tmp/backup-files' mostly works - but for some odd reason the concentrator sometimes hangs up on me - even when the scp transfer succeeded. Thus, I get a non-zero exit code and my cron-job complains :=(

I suspect that the ssh/scp server in the concentrator is buggy - is there any known workarounds ?

Is there a better way to backup the box - perhaps using the XML interface ?

Thanks ...

/Torben

2 Replies 2

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Though there are a number of documented SSH vulnerabilities, none of them seem to be related to the problem you face. I guess a save followed by a reboot might be your best bet. If that does not work, it would be a good idea to consider the possibility that one of the SSH vulnerabilities is being exploited on your network. Please see bug CSCdz15393.

I don't think this is the case. This behaviour is seen even on a new installation ( 4.0.3 ) on a test network.

What I am trying to do here is to run a nightly backup job - grabbing the CONFIG file from all my concentrators. Rebooting is not an option here :=)

Again - the problem is that the concentrator drops the connection _after_ the scp transfer has finished. My ssh client then returns an error message, and I have to check manually if the backup was ok.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card