cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can a cisco asa high availability firewall be split into standalone license

Howar Oviedo
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ASA5545-X with HA license Active/Active and now my customer has changed the designe and wants to split these up into standalone firewalls.  How does this affect the license?  Is there any issue with doing this, or will they be able to just run fine as standalone firewalls?

Thanks,

Howard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding if the customer got the ASA5545-X firewalls originally with identical Licenses there should be no problem to use them separately.

Since your customer is at the moment using Active/Active Failover it already means that the Firewalls are in multiple context mode. This in turn means that he/she hasnt been able to use any Licensed VPN features on the ASA pair and therefore hasnt gotten any VPN licences on either unit.

So it would seem to me that on the basis of the information you have provided that there should be no problem using the firewalls separately.

Only license related thing I can think of at the moment is that if you still want to keep them in multiple context mode and have only aquired Security Context license for the other one.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding if the customer got the ASA5545-X firewalls originally with identical Licenses there should be no problem to use them separately.

Since your customer is at the moment using Active/Active Failover it already means that the Firewalls are in multiple context mode. This in turn means that he/she hasnt been able to use any Licensed VPN features on the ASA pair and therefore hasnt gotten any VPN licences on either unit.

So it would seem to me that on the basis of the information you have provided that there should be no problem using the firewalls separately.

Only license related thing I can think of at the moment is that if you still want to keep them in multiple context mode and have only aquired Security Context license for the other one.

- Jouni

Jouni,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Best regards,

Howard

Hi,

Glad to be of help

Please do rate if you found the information to be helpfull

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card