cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't connect with AnyConnect on Windows 10 Home

mkoneya
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new windows 10 Home machine.   I've contacted you on twitter and hope you can resolve this issue.

When I try to connect to my work VPN, anyConnect asks for my login.   I get a call back from our two tier authentication and then I get a message saying that there is a PC or network error before I can put in my PIN number to verify my credentials.

I have tried to turn off the Windows Firewall and still no luck.   The new computer is a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 Home and came with McAffee.   I have tried to remove all traces of that and am only using Windows Firewall.

I do not have DART and cannot download it because of some restrictions due to me not being authorized. 

Please help me resolve this issue.

AnyConnect has been stuck on this issue for me for about a week so I appreciate your help in resolving the issue.

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should contact your local support first. They may have an older version of AnyConnect that does not support Windows 10.

City of Scottsdale VPN
For problems contact the I.T. Support Desk at ext. 27827
(Non-City users should contact the I.T. Security Office at
480-312-2712)

Marvin,

Thanks for the reply. I did start with our IT Support Desk first.    The client they gave me works for others on Windows 10.

Mele

Is your client able to download and install AnyConnect at all? If so, can you tell us what version you have?

I was able to install the client.  I am using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.13015.

When I try to use our two factor authentication,  I am able to provide my credentials and get the call back from our system,  but that is where the client fails giving me a 'Network or PC Error'      In the client message history it simply says that User Credentials Prompt Cancelled.

This client is being used by others in our organization successfully.

Thanks for any suggestions as to what is wrong with my system

Based on your description, I would give a high probability that the 2 factor setup is faulty. Can you perhaps try a logon from another PC? It shouldn't matter whether or not it is Windows 10.

If the problem follows on a different PC, then it is most likely something in your 2 factor system and not AnyConnect per se. 

Yes, I did try it on a different PC at work.    The AnyConnect Client worked as expected.    It seems to be coming back to this machine with everything I've tried.  

I had a Cisco technician looking into this and they gave me a single factor log in site and it worked with the current client.  

Two Factor does not work on this machine for some reason.

Mele

That is really odd. What 2 factor solution does the VPN use?

Thanks for responding.

I am not sure if I understand the question,  but what I do is start the AnyConnect client, enter the address and my organization AD credentials and then I get a call back where I enter a PIN.   

Each time I am getting to the callback part of the process,  but immediately,  the 'Connection attempt has failed due to network or PC issue' message comes up.  The message is coming up before I enter my PIN so I don't think there is any timeout issue.

Could there be a file permissions issue that is not allowing AnyConnect to download a profile?      

This is from Cisco support:

The difference is that your work computer has a profile called “SBL.xml” and “SSL.xml”, both of which have an AuthenticationTimeout set to 30seconds while your Home computer does not have this profile present, so you are only getting 12 seconds for the entire Authentication process to complete, which likely is not long enough given the time for the push to happen and for you to respond. Because your work computer has this profile, you are given 30 seconds.

Adding these files resolved the issue

Mele

Ah that makes sense. Somebody got too ambitious with the "nerd knobs" that are available in the profiles.

Thanks for letting us know the resolution.

I too have the same problem.  Your explanation makes great sense.  My question is how to add the two files, sbl.xml and ssl.xml.  The hyperlinks of the two files are dead.  Thanks in advance for being my lifesaver as I have sent much time and effort on this problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: