cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can two PIXes with UR licence work as failover ?

bipin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two PIX with UR licence. Will I be able to use one as failover if I connect the ethernet interfaces back to back ?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Bipin

5 Replies 5

r.state
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bipin,

no you can't do this, you can however send an email to licensing@cisco.com along with the serial number of your pix stating you wish to convert the pix from a ur to an fo, and they will send you a new activation key which will enable this feature. I believe this should not be a chargeable request as an fo pix is cheaper to purchase than a ur. however make sure you keep a copy of your present activation key to avoid you paying for the upgrade if you wish to revert it back to a ur in the future.

hope this helps,

Rowan

Another post on this thread already answered this question correctly but I wanted to jump in (for posterity sake) and note that the above post is incorrect. You can indeed use two UR PIX's as a failover pair. An FO license is *not* required. The FO license is offered as a to provide a price break for customers wanting to deploy PIX's in a failover scenerio. Hope this helps clarify.

Scott

Scott,

Quite right chap.

I will now beat myself about the head with a wet fish!

Bipin - sorry for the bum information.

Nah, make is a wet noodle instead that you beat yourself about the head with. It wasn't that big of a deal ;) Plus, it was probably early in the day when you wrote it.

Scott

shannong
Level 4
Level 4

You can use a serial cable directly between the two or the newer LAN-based failover. Connecting ethernet faces back to back isn't a requirement but that is one way to deploy failover.

UR means unrestricted. All features are licensed including failover. You simply need to configure and enable failover. The output of [show version] should show you "Failover: Enabled". While I've never used Failover with two UR Pixs, I can't think of any reason you will not be able to do this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card