Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect to console port on ASA 5506 - Medium shade character on putty

Hello all,

I am trying to connect via putty to a new ASA 5506 without success.

I have checked the settings on putty and everything is ok. 

I am using a prolific usb-to-serial . I have changed usb ports, i disabled/enabled usb-to-serial from Device Manager, reboot ASA/PC and nothing worked, Putty screen is like frozen.

I used this PC with this cable to configure a 3850 and everything was ok.

Now, the last time i tried to connect i saw in the screen a medium shade character. (https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2592/index.htm).

medium shade.PNG

After this, I am suspecting corrupted flash.

Have you ever seen this on a Cisco device?

Thank you very much for any suggestions or guidance.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I finally managed to connect to FW. 

I have simultaneously connected usb-to-serial cable and a mini USB Type B to USB Type A console cable.

If i unplug either of them, Putty will lose connection.

If you have any idea why is this happening, is welcome.

thank you

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

What are the LED lights showing on the unit when it sits like this?

Have you tried booting into ROMMON? Press escape key as the ASA is attempting to boot up?

Is this a brand new Firewall, first time attempting to connect? How long have you left it to allow it to boot up?

Hello,

The LEDs are green.

I have not tried to boot into ROMMON. It's a little difficult as the ASA is on a remote site and i have to contact with a local colleague. But please let me know what are you thinking about ROMMON and i will find a way to boot it.

Yes, it's a brand new FW and it's the first time i try to connect.

Booting to ROMMON will bypass anything on the flash, although if it was corrupt flash I'd have expected the device to boot into ROMMON anyways.
The 5506 come with a default configuration which includes Gi1/2 having an IP of 192.168.1.1, It might be an idea to test connecting that ASA port to a switch, giving yourself a Laptop with IP of 192.168.1.2 , plugging into same switch and see if you can get onto it that way using https.

Hi,

May be the image corrupted try loading image from ROMMON below is the recovery procedure to load,

if its getting failed raise RMA.

ASA Rommon Recovery 

Hope This Helps

Abheesh

Hello both,

I cannot follow the below procedure because ASA boots, i don't see anything.

I will try to ping it on 192.168.1.1. If this doesn't work, i will create a ticket to Cisco.

I will let you know the results.

Thank you

Hello,

I finally managed to connect to FW. 

I have simultaneously connected usb-to-serial cable and a mini USB Type B to USB Type A console cable.

If i unplug either of them, Putty will lose connection.

If you have any idea why is this happening, is welcome.

thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card