cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Capture AOL Instant Messenger traffic

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have an ASA 5505 and I setup a port with a PC connected to monitor the LAN interface. I see all the traffic from the LAN  going out and traffic coming back in no problem. What I do not see the the AOL Instant Messenger traffic at all. I have WireShark on the PC and I filter for AIM traffic and I see nothing. Has anyone done this and is there anything special I need to do?

Mike           

5 Replies 5

jocamare
Level 4
Level 4

AIM uses port tcp/5190, are you sure you are filtering the traffic using that port?

If you don't see the packets on your PC, the problem lays right there, on your PC. Make sure to be sending traffic when capturing though.

I know that is the port and have been looking for that. What I did was to setup port monitoring between the ASA inside interface and port 3 on the ASA. I connected a PC to port 3 and started wireshark, I can see all the traffic but see nothing on port 5190, also I am using AIM sniffer software installed on the PC and I see nothing getting captured.

Mike

I guess you will agree with me this has nothing to do with the ASA.

That being said, when you use the application do you get any errors when trying to send traffic?

Can you check the settings of the unit and confirm that it's using port 5190?

Are there any logs from the app that might give you some useful information?

Have you tried to reinstall the app?

Have you tried the same from a different computer and OS?

What the name and version of the app you are using?

The app aside....I don't even see the AIM traffic using wireshark.... very odd.

Would it be possible to get answers for the questions above?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card