cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP on ASA - why not ?

martin.law
Level 1
Level 1

Have just spent a load of time debugging issues with a pair of ASAs I found not having CDP a real pain.

There appears to be lots of comments that CDP is not available but none that explain why.

Is it just laziness or is there a good reason ? After all its available (sort of) on other platforms such as CSS and even other manufacturers.

Discuss ...

1 Reply 1

CDP could expose information that others shouldn't have. And in many best-practices for security you find the recommendation to disable CDP. So it could be an enforced implementation of the "need to know" principle.

For me (as a more or less paranoid security guy), I really would like to have the possibility to decide it on my own on which interface I enable CDP and on which not. But sadly, we can't ...

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card