Views
Helpful
Replies

Change DNS 8.8.8.8 to a private DNS in Cisco ASA

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

I'm looking for a way how to set up a cisco asa to capture DNS queries to 8.8.8.8 and change/re-write them to another DNS server hosted in the "inside" using a private IP. we've got several remote sites breaking out on the ASA and by doing this we don't need to manually change each downstream user/client's DNS settings.

is there a feature or command to do this?

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check below thread may help you and test and let us know : (you need to do tweak and other way around)

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/asa-dns-redirect-forward/td-p/2225085

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

hi balaji,

thanks for the link! what do you mean by "tweak the other way around"?

can you give the complete config example that i could try?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- During a transition phase I would still advice to have clients get the correct  and or new dns servers  through DHCP , this may be faster  (for the clients) and or you have more control over potential security issues , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

You can do this using NAT or more accurately, twice NAT.  Using this you will be able to translate the destination address.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

hi marius,

yes, i read twice NAT before but haven't done it in a real world scenario (maybe this one does!).

can you give a config example for me to test it out?

Your NAT should look like this

object service obj_dns

service udp destination eq 53

nat (inside,outside) source static REAL_IP MAPPED_IP destination static MAPPED_IP REAL_IP service obj_dns obj_dns

--

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i just got a new info that the "re-directed" DNS server is over the internet, therefore using a public IP, i.e. 123.1.2.3

should i write the twice NAT this way?

nat (outside,inside) source static 8.8.8.8 123.1.2.3 service udp domain domain

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i found this link/blog and it's similar to what i'm trying to achieve.

https://traceroute.home.blog/2022/04/03/configuring-twice-nat/

just need someone to confirm if below config is correct?

basically, i'm using the "outside" interface for PAT the "inside" subnet then change/re-direct client's google DNS 8.8.8.8 to the "other" public DNS server 123.1.2.3.

object network INSIDE_SUBNET
 host 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

object network GOOGLE_DNS
 host 8.8.8.8

object network PUBLIC_DNS
 host 123.1.2.3

nat (inside,outside) source static INSIDE_SUBNET interface destination static GOOGLE_DNS PUBLIC_DNS

that should work, you need to test it, any issue post the error here to help further.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That is pretty much what I suggested above.  But I would still suggest specifying the destination port of udp/53 instead of NATing all ports as you are only trying to redirect DNS to the server, correct?  Google DNS is quite a popular IP to test / troubleshoot with ping and traceroute.

Also, keep in mind that 8.8.4.4 is also a google DNS IP so you might want to add a NAT statement for this one also.

--
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card